"Every single thing we do is called to be an act of worship." - Sid Hielema
This quote is the inspiration for this blog as I have reflected on it and really thought deeply on what exactly this means to me and my relationship with both God and the people around me. This quote does hold a lot of weight whether or not we as people accept that and realize it. What made me realize this was the recent media fast I had for three days and being removed from most of the technology I use to fill my day to day life. I had the realization that in a sense these devices and such controlled me and pulled me away from the things that matter rather than helping me get closer to what I should be focusing on like I try telling myself they do. In reality, my phone is more there for a distraction when I need it rather than just communicating with my friends and family. Once that was gone, I felt like I had nothing to do and honestly felt empty. From that point on I knew I had to do something about it. In a way, I worshiped and glorified my phone more than my own relationships even if it was the tool to help me in those relationships. Now I balance that with my personal life and try to not use my phone for anything more than knowledge and communication. I also need to make sure that my status as a child of God is more important than my cultural or ethnicity. I often pride myself in being who I am and put that above anything else, but that shouldn't be the case and changing that has become a big step in humbling myself and understanding why God wants us to value and put him first. And the last thing I have to say about this is my social life. Often with my non-believer friends I am very open about my relationship with Christ and why I choose to follow him. I do minister here and there as best I can with the wisdom I have to offer, but the thing I need to work on is showing Christ through my actions. And by that I mean cleaning up my language, how I act certain times and my attitude in how I deal with a situation at times. If I do all of this I feel like that would further my own spiritual growth and in turn be another way I can worship God.
This quote is the inspiration for this blog as I have reflected on it and really thought deeply on what exactly this means to me and my relationship with both God and the people around me. This quote does hold a lot of weight whether or not we as people accept that and realize it. What made me realize this was the recent media fast I had for three days and being removed from most of the technology I use to fill my day to day life. I had the realization that in a sense these devices and such controlled me and pulled me away from the things that matter rather than helping me get closer to what I should be focusing on like I try telling myself they do. In reality, my phone is more there for a distraction when I need it rather than just communicating with my friends and family. Once that was gone, I felt like I had nothing to do and honestly felt empty. From that point on I knew I had to do something about it. In a way, I worshiped and glorified my phone more than my own relationships even if it was the tool to help me in those relationships. Now I balance that with my personal life and try to not use my phone for anything more than knowledge and communication. I also need to make sure that my status as a child of God is more important than my cultural or ethnicity. I often pride myself in being who I am and put that above anything else, but that shouldn't be the case and changing that has become a big step in humbling myself and understanding why God wants us to value and put him first. And the last thing I have to say about this is my social life. Often with my non-believer friends I am very open about my relationship with Christ and why I choose to follow him. I do minister here and there as best I can with the wisdom I have to offer, but the thing I need to work on is showing Christ through my actions. And by that I mean cleaning up my language, how I act certain times and my attitude in how I deal with a situation at times. If I do all of this I feel like that would further my own spiritual growth and in turn be another way I can worship God.
Comments
Post a Comment